Places to go; Things to see

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

One down...rest of my life to go

Well, I managed to stick to my word and got off one stop early this morning. It was really quite relaxing.

It made me realise how much I have missed walking and how little I actually do these days. I used to walk everywhere and then 5 years ago I moved from Sydney to sunny Brisbane and got my drivers licence. The only difference is that Brisbane has very limited public transport system compared to Sydney.

It's amazing the difference a driver's licence makes. It was nothing for me to walk for 45mins just to get to the shops. I only ever got a taxi on rare occasions. These days, if I haven't got the car, I either don't go anywhere or I call a taxi straight away. I think I was healthier when I was broke and and having to share a house with three other people.

I remember one time down in Sydney, the bus drivers went on strike for three or four days in a row and so I had to walk to and from work. Randwick to Surrey Hills 45mins each way. I was hot and bothered at the end of each trip, but it was summer, so that had something to do it. It was really quite weird, walking down the bus lanes on Anzac Pde with hundreds of other people. On a normal day you might have seen maybe one or two people walking, and never anywhere near the the bas lane, because buses would hurtle down that lane at 80km/h.

Oh well, I have started again and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment