Places to go; Things to see

Friday, August 13, 2010

Band Restriction

Before I start on an actual band related blog (I know; it's been a while) I thought I would let you know that I saw the doctor this morning and am back on the anti-depressants. The doctor put it in a way that made a lot of sense. After I explained that I had previously stopped taking the tablets because I felt great and thought I didn't need them anymore.


She told me that it is a chemical unbalance and we just need to look at it like the glasses I wear. If you are short sighted, you don't go around banging into things, you get the glasses that help you see properly. It is the same with depression, there is a bit of a chemical imbalance and the tablets help correct it. I know this is simplifying it greatly, but I think it was what I needed to hear as I was feeling a little ashamed that I needed them. But she was very nice about it and really put me at ease.


Now for some actual band related issues: Restriction


I had my third fill about one month ago; and I am a little confused.


You hear other people explain their restriction. They can eat a few tablespoons up to maybe a cup of food and it keeps them full for hours. They have PB's and stuck episodes every now and then.


The only time I PB is when I have eaten a heap of crap food (sausage roll that was really dry - should have known better) and I don't think I have ever been stuck. I know I have never thrown up.


If I am eating breakfast; I eat about 1/2 a cup and it keeps me full for hours (generally an egg and some baked beans). If it is lunch or dinner I'll eat at a little over a cup and it generally only fills me for a couple of hours I generally have an afternoon snack (this has been my down fall lately where I am not eating the best snacks).


That being said I am not sure if I need more fill or not. I think my current level of restriction is sustainable for weight loss, while still being able to enjoy all the food I love (just in smaller portions), but I sometimes wonder if I would be losing more weight and eating less if I had more restriction.


It is all very confusing. There is still a few week before I go back for my next surgeon appointment, so I am thinking I really need to concentrate on the amounts, times and hunger levels I am experiencing. Otherwise I will not be able to know what to tell him when he asks how I am going.


There are a few of you lately that have been experiencing some over fill and I don't want that, but I have to wonder if the level of restriction is as good as it can be. I know it is a waiting game sometimes, but I never have been a patient person. But I will try to wait and see how things go:)


Thanks everyone for reading and your comments, they mean a lot.

3 comments:

  1. you have really good weight loss so far! it seems like your portions are really good...and my doc (actually nutritionist) has no problems w/a snack as long as it's a good one :). you may be really close to your sweet spot and only need a really small fill. good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had to restart my anti-depressants after a 3 year hiatus. Your doc is right. We are missing some chemicals. I think if you continue to lose weight then the band is working. I've needed an unfill twice and it isn't fun being too tight. I think I am just right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great post Sam as i was thinkign the same thing. I dont pb now has it ever hurt and i can eat everything and i think when i get hungry its because its always bloody that time of the month for me i actually think im in a good place with my fillss so im in the same bucket as you!

    ReplyDelete