Places to go; Things to see

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mum's Health Scare

Had a bit of a health scare with mum this week. She had her bi-yearly mammogram a few weeks ago and then forgot all about it until this Monday when she received a call from Breast screen Queensland, There were some spots on her tests and they needed to be re-checked.

So I took the day off, and early this morning we drove up to Nambour Hospital, were I spent 3 hours in a waiting room, every half an hour or so, mum would be called away for another test. A mammogram, an ultrasound and then a biopsy on the lump that was on the original mammogram x-rays.

Thankfully, it turned out to be a cyst and the biopsy got rid of it all. they don't know what causes them, just some irritation, but this was not detrimental to Mum's health (at least not physical health, mental health is a whole other story).

Can you say relief?!?

I hate health scares. It doesn't help that the phone call Mum got on Monday was about three or four weeks after she went for the first mammogram. You see here in Queensland, you go to one place for the exam, which is done by a technician, and then those test are sent to the hospital to be looked at by a doctor. It takes four weeks from the time you have a test to when someone looks at it and knows the results.

So when Mum got that call, she freaked and has been super stressed.

All I can say is, thank God that is over with.

In band related news, this scare did wonders for my eating. I have only been eating very small meals the last few days (stress really does tend to make you a little tighter) and I have done very little snacking in between (I did have a snickers bar today through - but that was after the good news) but my appetite has come back since the good news. So I am going to have to be careful the next day or two or I could easily over eat.

Does anyone else get really hungry after they have had a light calorie day?

Alright, I best be off. I am quite exhausted after today, and I didn't even do much.

Thanks for reading my rambles. They do help clear the head, and thanks for your comments:)

3 comments:

  1. Thank goodness. I'm glad she is okay and it was just a cyst!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your mum is ok! What a relief!

    Stress definitely affects the band so be careful there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear your mom is ok!

    ReplyDelete