Places to go; Things to see

Friday, February 25, 2011

Dare to Succeed :o)

What can I say, I have been totally lacking in the motivation department lately.

I have no one to blame for this but myself. I am in control of what I put in my mouth, just as I am in control of what I do with my body.

These are two basic things that I think a lot of us have forgotten, or don't want to remember :o)

I know that personally these are things that I never thought about before I was starting to want to loss weight. I just ate, and I never exercised.

When I started to worry about my weight and decided to go on diets, I was very conscious that I was supposed to control what I put in my mouth and what I was doing with my body. It never really lasted a long time. I would soon fall off that wagon and conveniently forget that I am supposed to be in control of the things that went into my mouth and what I did with my body.
This is going to change!!!!

I know that I have said things like this before, but I mean it. I am so tired of making promises to myself and breaking them sooner than it takes to publish a post.

So no; I am not going to make these huge claims that I hope to achieve.

What I am going to do though is be honest with myself. I eat chocolate. Fine, but no longer will I eat bar after bar. No longer will I eat chocolate in secret (yes I still do this - even if it is a normal small portion) I am a chocolate lover, I am embracing this love.

Maybe if I have a healthy, open love affair with my chocolate; it won't be able to hold me hostage any more :o)

I am going to have a positive attitude and dare to succeed.

This is my weight loss journey and I need to be proud of the goals I have achieved and I need to be positive that I can continue with these achievements onto my ultimate goal.

The main reason for this change was that I had an appointment with my surgeon today, and even though I have the best restriction so far I am basically the same weight I was at my last appointment. During the last four weeks I had two pretty good weeks were I was losing and them I have had two weeks were I have either been sick with the flu or recovering from the flu. I have not been to the gym in nearly two weeks and for what ever reason; the flu doesn't squash my hunger. If anything, I get more hungry. And I tend to go from eating hearty hot soups and stews to eating lots of ice cream.

I do not know why, but when I am sick is the only real time that I crave ice cream. I can put it down to the fact that throat is sore and the ice cream feels soothing as it goes down, or I need calcium.

The real reason is probably because when I had my tonsils out at the age of five, it was the first time I was allowed ice cream when I hadn't finished my dinner. So I guess when I am sick with a sore throat I revert back to my five year old self and get to enjoy the sinful pleasure of eating a bowl of ice cream instead of a healthy dinner.

Our childhood memories can be very strong and detrimental to our journeys. I need to work on this.

So after all this rambling, I think the basic idea is that I do need to track my food. I do need to be honest with myself in regards to what I am eating and why I am eating it. And I do need to start exercising again. I may not yet be % over the flu, but I am well enough for a walk and gentle exercise. And who knows? I might even find that with the little bit of exercise I am really ready for more :o)

So there it is: Dare to Succeed

I will dare; will you?

5 comments:

  1. I think that is a great idea Sam.. its amazing once you track and you start to look at the real calories, sodium, fat g and realize how much protein you are or are not consuming it sheds some light.. I am pulling for you.. you will succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think starting a journal is a great idea. Just make sure you still indulge in a piece of chocolate here and there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take that dare! I had fallen off the exercise wagon as well...back pain/sinus issues caused mine. I made it back this week and it's actually making me feel better. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you don't even want to know. I really need to dare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I firmly believe that when we try to make foods off-limits, we tend to covet them and eventually give in and eat far too much. I usually have two or hree servings of dessert per week. I eat them slowly and savor them. I chose things I really like (for example good chocolate instead of hersheys - blech). All things in moderation, right?

    Logging your food is a great way to get back on track! Good job!

    ReplyDelete