Places to go; Things to see

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Nails are long again....

I got my nails done this morning :o)
I did think long and hard before I got them done again this time. You see I used to always have my nails done like this. I may have been fat, but I had nice nails and I always thought it made my fingers look longer and not so fat. I don't know if that was true or not, because I was so photo phobic back then.

But when I started playing the cello, that meant the end of the long nails. No nails was more the case when playing the cello. Any length just got in the way so I was clipping them extra short at least twice a week.. But I am putting that on hold. And I finally worked out why.

I started loosing focus on learning the cello when I had the WLS. I put it down to a lot of different things over the last few months. I was exercising, I didn't want to do music exams, I needed a break.

But the bottom line is I really do best at something when I am only concentrating on one main thing at a time.

When I started the cello I even told my boss at work, that I was not looking a move in the office to another department as I wanted to concentrate on music. This worked too. I learnt the basics in very little time and was progressing really well.

Then I had the surgery. And all of a sudden, I was no longer concentrating on music. I was concentrating on losing weight.

The progression in music stalled, but I was losing weight, so I wasn't too worried. But then I starting thinking that I need to improve some more with the cello, and I tried spending more time on that. But that is when my weight started to stall. I stoped playing the cello with the thought that I was going to concentrate on the weightless stuff, but to be honest I was always worrying that I needed to get back to the cello, so it was not that successful a break.

It really was a vicious cycle.

So this morning I was talking to my mum about it. And I don't know if I was trying to talk myself out of cello, but I came to the realisation that I need to solely work on my weight at the moment, and not worry about everything else.

So hence the nails went back on. :o)

We'll see how this goes. It does mean that if my weight is still stalled, I will have nothing else to blame but myself. That is a scary thought, but it is also refreshing. Out side of work and bills and living my life I just have to work on my weight loss journey to deal with :p

Nothing to it... {can you hear the sarcasm in my typing}

Hope everyone is having a great week end. I am currently at work doing some overtime (need to get some spending money together for the France/England trip) so I should get back too it :o)

8 comments:

  1. I am pretty much the EXACT same way...only able to focus on ONE thing at a time! I however always TRY to focus on 5 at a time...then I fail something...the perfectionist control freak in me freaks the hell out b/c I'm....eh..."not perfect" and this cycle repeats! Ugh! I wish I too could figure out how to focus on just one thing OR prioritize a top two! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you decided to refocus on your weight loss journey. While playing an instrument is very rewarding, the weight loss will be more important for your overall health in the long run. (Even though I know music is good for the mental health!) You'll live longer and be able to enjoy your instrument longer by getting the weight out of the way first. :)

    I, too, have problems focusing on one thing at a time, but that might just be because I have ADD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the nails...for me without them my fingers look fat and short and chunky so I leave them on. They are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice realization - and if weight loss requires your focus, then you go girl! The nails are beautiful ;). I know that before my surgery, I focused more on my nails, waxed eyebrows, hair, makeup, etc...I guess I figured that with all of the extra perks, no one would notice how fat I was. I've always been a pretty girl, so I figured the enhancements would erase the fat in everyone's eyes. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I had my eyebrows waxed or my hair cut now...lol. I really need to get them done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely better to do one thing well than a lot of things half-assed. Love the nails.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't have put it any better than Bonnie just did - and the nails look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautfiul hands!!! creating balance in life is always a tricky thing. i know you will figure this out. in the meantime, good luck with the wl. boy, it really does take everything we've got...and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always liked my nails done before I stopped spending the money on it. Same reason - felt they made my fingers look longer. I don't blame you for taking a break with the cello. I find that focusing on my weight loss efforts takes a lot of commitment outside of work and family. I don't have much time for anything else.

    ReplyDelete