Places to go; Things to see

Friday, March 4, 2011

A campsite Explosion :o(

There was a disaster in our family the other day and I was in shock for a little while about it. A camp site explosion caused a fire and major injuries to 7 people. The 40 year old woman was my cousin; one of the 15 year old girls was her daughter, my second cousin.
Top: Renee; Bottom: Mariah -
Link is to the newpaper article
They have been in a medically induced coma since then. My 2nd cousin Mariah has had operations to repair some of the damage and should be brought out of the coma tomorrow. Her diagnosis is looking okay. She is young and the scaring isn't too server. The doctors think the scaring will fade within the next 5 to 7 years. So she does have a hard time in front of her, but she will make it.
Renee on the other hand got burnt a lot worse as she ran into the ten to get Mariah out. She has burns to 20% of her body and has already had a few operations, she will be kept in the coma until at least next Tuesday, and she will need a lot more surgery and will be in for a much harder time of it.

I haven't heard about the other people that were injured. The news on the young boy is that he is stable but still in critical care and will be for a long time as he has burns to 80% of his body.

They are in Sydney at the moment, so I am getting updates sporadically from my sister. On one hand I want to be there, but I know it is pointless at this stage. Only next of kin are allowed in to visit and I can't afford the time off work. It is quite sad when the finances of real world stand in the way of family.

Another side of me says that even if I could go, would I really go. I haven't seen Renee in years, and I am sorry to say that I have actually never met Mariah. Cousin on my dad's side of the family and I really don't have a great relationship with him, so my relationship with the whole family suffered. But she was always a favourite cousin.

Guilt also plays heavily on me now because I haven't been a better cousin.

It's not too late, thank god. I will be able to make up for lost time.

With all this guilt that I am feeling I have all these other random thoughts:

Why is it I can either blog regularly or comment on all your great blogs. I need to read and comment faster so that I can do both more easily :o)

How do I fix my laptop so that I can post on it? It lets me do everything else, but when I go to new post, it just has the loading circle thingy continually spinning :( I have tried everything I can think of. Google help has not helped. The only way I get around it is by typing my post in an e-mail draft and then go onto the home computer just to paste and post the blog. Very time consuming and the pictures take forever on that computer!!!

I also can't follow anyone new from my laptop. So I have a list that I need to follow from my home computer. Only I keep forgetting about it when I'm on the home computer, because it is so much slower than my laptop. I need to take the laptop back to the shop and see if they can fix it :o(

While posting comments last night I have realised a few things:
1. I think I am still hanging onto my images of myself on how I used to be, and that could be a little bit of the problem with me not loosing at the moment.
2. I have some major resentment issued with my half brother - I had to attend his first birthday party on my 21st birthday. A huge milestone in my life and I was surrounded by family that were celebrating my dad's new family and most of them forgot it was even my birthday!! How sad is that!

I just bought Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire to start my reading challenge. I have made my self a promise that I will not buy the next book in the challenge until the one I am reading is finished, otherwise I will get all the books and then not read them as there will be too many there, staring at me, taunting me :o) - yes I know I sound weird.

I still haven't been back to the gym, because this flu is having another go at me. I am back on the cough syrup and flu tablets. It is not enough for me to take off from work sick, just enough to keep me exhausted and unable to get a decent night sleep.

Okay that's me done. I have rambled on enough, I am posting this at work, before I start as I couldn't be bothered trying to deal with the slow home one. I will check in with you later. Have a great Friday and I hope to do the BYOC tomorrow morning.

9 comments:

  1. Sam, I understand what you mean about tense family relationships. I haven't spoken to my cousins (and even my own grandmother!!) for years because of conflicts with other family members and sometimes I come across a photo of them - getting married, with a new baby etc etc through facebook from other family members and I have that same guilt gnawing away at my insides. Same when the floods went through and their homes went completely underwater.
    Just remember that they are family and you will always care for your family on some level (even the ones you aren't too fond of). The thing is though, just because you share a blood connection doesn't mean you are bound to those people. Just like some friends will become just like family, some family will become just like friends, or acquaintances, or eventually 'someone you once knew'.
    You also have to remember that you're not the only one involved here... even though you haven't made contact with that side of the family, they had opportunities to contact you...
    I guess at the end of the day you just have to acknowledge that you feel for those people that were injured, like you would feel for anyone in that situation. It makes me feel sad and want to help them, and I don't even know them.
    Then you have to acknowledge the family side of it separately and ask yourself how important it really is to you that these people become part of your life and that you become a part of theirs again too. Sometimes these relationships, as faded and worn as they are, are best left that way.
    Sorry if I have overstepped the mark here, I just know how much turmoil these kinds of things can put you through, I've spent years tackling it, and you have enough on your plate at the moment just trying to get better and back on your feet.
    I hope it all works out for your cousins and you get better xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrible tragedy :( I hope the people injured recover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hun - I didn't mean for my post to bring up old resentments but like me, your feelings are valid and they need a voice. I will pray for your family members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam.. I hope everyone is OK and continues to recover.. you and your family will be in my prayers.. be well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for the tragedy in your family. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful I'm so sorry for your family members, really hope that they recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about your family! How horrible! Like you said, though, it's not too late. Sometimes it takes something like this to make us realize what's really important in life. The fact that they both are going to survive is a blessing.

    I agree with Draz. Your feelings are important and shouldn't be ignored. Why do families have to make life so difficult. I think we should be more like sea turtles. Lay our eggs and when they hatch, it's every man for himself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your cousin. :( I hope everything turns out for the best. I'm praying for them. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep them close in your thoughts and prayers which will help them more than you showing up and not being able to see them in the hospital. When they are both awake, send cards and notes to let them know how much you've been thinking about them, and how sorry you are to have let so much time lapse. They will love you for it, and it will help boost their spirits when they need it most. Hang in there and please keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete