Places to go; Things to see

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The next step...

Firstly, an update:

My niece is not going to be moving up here, at least not at the moment. They seem to have worked the dramas out for now and have a plan in place to hopefully avoid the situation from getting too bad again.

I have my fingers crossed for them, but will be there for them if things go south again. It really is a wait and see situation for the moment.

Now onto me and my band:

I have been doing a lot of soul searching and googling. I have strayed off the banded path and need to get back on it quick smart.

Some of you wonderful bandsters are leaving me for dead in this journey, and I do not want to be left behind any more.

In my googling adventures I came across a forum: Banded Together

What first drew me to this site was this article 'Are you afraid to be Thin?'

This got me thinking and I have to say, that yes I am. I tried the exercise of listing 25 things that I was afraid of and most of them revolved around my self confidence - or lack there of - and not being sexually attractive.

My life so far has been very sheltered. I have never been the jolly fat girl that everyone loves and always had a boyfriend. I hide behind my fat and when I loose that barrier, I am afraid of what I'll see.

Reading this I know I need help, I just don't like talking about it in person. I get so self conscious and just clamp up. So this is something I need to work on and deal with. Not just ignore it. How to do this is were a journal comes into it, because some of the things I need to work through are just a little too personal to put out there, at least for me on here at the moment, maybe later when I have actually worked through some of my issues.

Today I was checking out the forum and I saw another article that struck a cord: 'The Weight Loss Journey: Have you lost your way?' and it gives the 'road rules' for us all:

These guidelines are the directions for your journey. Your road map.
  1. Are you really aware of what and how much you’re eating? Start journaling your food!
  2. Are you grazing? Plan your meals and make them count. Don’t wing it!
  3. Are you eating your protein first? Don't fill up on empty calories!
  4. Are you paying attention to how you eat? Sit at the table. Turn off the TV. Focus on eating.
  5. Are you using small plates? Give me a big plate and I’ll fill it, and then eat it all!
  6. Are you taking small bites? Remember, chew till it’s goo!
  7. Are you limiting meal times to 20-30 minutes? We can eat a supersized meal if we pick at it for an hour!
  8. Are you drinking with meals? Get in that 64oz a day BETWEEN meals, not with them!
  9. Are you eating a minimum of 60g of protein per day? Protein keeps us feeling sated longer! Yes!
  10. Are you taking a daily chewable multivitamin? Getting the minimum RDA of our vitamins and minerals from our food is hard with smaller portions.
They are the rules we all know and most of us follow, but for me it has been a while. I know I have said it before, but this long week-end at work (while devouring copious amounts of Easter chocolate) has gotten me thinking of my journey and I don't like what I am seeing in myself.

The chocolate is my main bone of contention. But as I am being honest with myself today – other than rules 5; 6 and 8, I am lacking in all of these rules.

So what does this mean for me? Well… I need to plan my meals to start with. Too many times do I just rush from the house with out any ideas on what will be on the menu for the whole day. I end up making poor choices and grazing. Once I have this one under way I will work on another.

Also, as hard as it going to be, I am going to have to control the chocolate
  1. be realistic - limit, not eliminate
  2. schedule occasions
  3. quality over quantity
  4. avoid chocolate on display
  5. don't keep it in the house
  6. substitute for something with less calories
{Yet another article I found :o)}

I was originally going to ban the chocolate all together, but that really didn't work the last time. And then I read the above article on it and it seemed to make a lot of sense so I am going to give this a good try.

I am going to do up a calendar (that I saw someone do some where); crossing off each day that I don’t eat chocolate and write the occasions I am allowed some onto it. I am aiming to stick to this plan for a full month. I will even post a picture at the end of the month to show all how this first month has gone. that is the shortest period of time it usually takes to successfully start a new habit, so I will reassess it after this time.

Here I go again, making lots of plans for my weight loss journey :p

To recap {more for me than you guys :o)}
  • I will start a personal journal and work my way through the ‘I am afraid to lose weight because’ list
  • Plan me meals
  • Stop the chocolate insanity
Please keep me sane will I endeavour to accomplish these tasks.

I hope everyone is has a great week, and if you are finishing the extra, extra long week-end – have fun at work tomorrow :o)

4 comments:

  1. I love that list! I need to print that out and put it in my kitchen for sure. I am the worst at meal planning so I know where you're coming from. Sometimes it's 5:00 and I have no idea what I'm feeding my family! Maybe you and I can keep on each other to make sure we're on track. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great checklist. I could definitely use the reminders.

    It sounds like you've got a great plan for success. YOU CAN DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sam. Just wanted to say I can relate to you. I have a lot of emotional stuff caught up in my weight. And I can't seem to drop it. :(

    Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for the late post, but I'm just catching up on blogs after being on vacation. Chocolate is my issue as well. I let myself have it whenever I want, as long as it fits into my daily calorie count. Typically, I can have 1-3 squares in the evening as my after dinner treat. But if I don't have the calories that day for whatever reason (chose a different treat, didn't work out...), then I don't get it. It really seems to work for me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete