Places to go; Things to see

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Week 1: Trip of a Lifetime

Alright so here is the first week from the time left home. By the way, I hoped on the scale this morning and it read 114.1kg (251.5 lb) that means that while I was away eating what ever I wanted I still lost 3.3kg (7.3lb), that means I walked enough while away to combat all the cakes, chocolate, carbonara pastas and hot chocolates that I consumed. I guess it is all about balance. When you are walking on average about six hours a day, you can eat what you want ;o)

Tuesday 04 October - Frustratingly anti-climatic
The start was not the start; just the starting block. Travelled down to the Gold Coast where we spent the night before our early departure in the morning.

Wednesday 05 October - Overwhelming
Well I have left Australia!!!!! And it is stuffy and hot in Kuala Lumpur; the sights and sounds really hit you. The are amazing and I love them, but I have never said "No Thanks" so many times to all the Malayans trying to push massages onto us.
Fountain in Kuala Lumpur
Thursday 06 October - Never Ending
Visited the Batu Caves and WOW, but I was very disappointed in myself for not being able to climb all the way to the top. The heat and not enough food and water prior to the visit got to me and I felt dizzy half way up.
The flight to Paris left at 1:20am and so the day felt like it was never going to end. I never been so tired.

Batu Caves in Kuala Lumpur
Friday 07 October - Tiring Day
After a very scary ride in a Paris taxi from the Airport, we arrived at Gare du Nord, could find the luggage lockers, so we had a long, long wait for our train to depart. We eventually found out there were lockers there, but this was about 30 minutes before we were due to left, was not happy about that!! Then we had a very quick train trip to London and then a tube trip and a walk to our accommodation. That was a long and tiring day, our luggage gained an extra pound very minute we had to lug. We finally arrived at our hotel, only to find it was nothing like what we were expecting (and not in a good way) live and learn I guess.
Gare du Nord = long wait...
Saturday 08 October - Driving Overseas
Picked up the car and after only 2 hours of driving around London, managed to get out of London and started our journey to Scotland, our Britain holiday has finally begun!!! We drove 300 miles before stopping at a hotel on the side of the highway (the Days Inn - so much better than the night before) near a place called Durham - I even drove the car for the last two hours!!!
One of the stops along the way were the one service centre went
over the highway to accommodate traffic in both directions.
Can I just say at this point that I love the British scenery. Lush and green, amazingly historical. I can feel the history in all I see.

Sunday 09 October - Driving into Edinburgh
I drove for most of the way today, until we were nearly at Edinburgh, were Mum took over, so that I could navigate. We stopped off on the way at Paxton Manor, one of many historical building through out England before crossing into Scotland. We got to Edinburgh and again got a little lost - the map did not correspond with the roads, I swear!!!!! :o) - we arrived at our guest house accommodation and had a pretty good nights sleep. It was a cute house run by a lovely couple.
Crossing the Scottish Border
So that was just the first week, I really did take a lot photos, it was hard to pick just one a day :o) I'll post week 2 in a day or two. I think I am getting over my jet-lag, although I did go and do some grocery shopping this afternoon and I think I was in there for about 2 hours, because when I got out all the other shops in the centre was closed, so I took a lot longer shopping than I thought I had!!

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics! So much running around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew, that really does sound like the trip of a lifetime just in the first week! Can't wait to see what week two brings. More pictures would be fine, don't worry about us, we wanna see all the sights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pics are great! I've never actually been to Edinburgh, really ought to go.

    Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing trip! I can't wait to hear about the rest. Where did you stay in London? I'm going next year and I'm nervous about that very thing...booking something on-line that doesn't turn out to be what I thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great reading-can't wait for week 2, you must have been over the moon that you lost weight as well!!:)

    ReplyDelete