Places to go; Things to see

Monday, October 22, 2012

Hunger.....

So I was watching a BandedWendy youtube video last night on hunger & wls : Proof WLS Works w/BandedWendy: Let's Talk About Hunger & WLS and this really got me thinking (like so many things do) I don't think I know what hunger is at the moment.

Like Wendy, pre surgery I did not know hunger, I always just ate. After surgery, I didn't really get hungry at all, I would eat when I was supposed to and sometimes it would be five hours before I would remember to eat. I think I only felt real hunger a few times and that would be when it had been a very long time between meals.

But over time, I have gotten back into pre surgery days of always eating, and of course, how am I supposed to loose more weight if I am always grazing. A lot of the time I am still eating because I am bored, tired or procrastinating, not because I am hungry.

So along with BandedWendy's food tips, I am also taking on board her attitude to hunger. I know I have to first learn the hunger fellings again, but I am doing this.

I googled a little and have come you withe following to help me with this learning curve.

First I need to ask myself the following questions:

1. Am I thirsty?
2. Am I tired?
3. Am I bored?
4. When was the last time I ate—was it less than three hours ago?
5. Can I wait 15 minutes before I eat again? Until the next meal?

If the answer is yes to any of these, then I am not really hungry, or at least not hungry enough!

I'm printing these out and putting them on my desk at work, as that is were I do most of my grazing, might even see about tattooing them on my hand :p

Now what I have to do is come up with a list of alternatives for when I am bored or tired, as these are the two main reasons for eating when not hungry at work.

Bored is the big one, cause I go through times at work were I am all up to date and actually have nothing to do, they are getting rarer, but coming up to christmas there will be more of them. That is my real quite time. I also get bored when doing the same thing over and over again and there are also times at work were that happens. In fact, I am about to have two weeks of it, as it is time to get a lot of work out for next year, so instead of doing different things for lots of different people, I'll be doing the same thing over, and over, and over again. Nothing bores me more!

Tired is another one, but this one I am going to have to be proactive about. You see, there are times when I just don't go to sleep, happened on Saturday, stayed up until 2:30am because I didn't want to sleep. I kept pushing through the times I got really sleepy. Even though I had to work a full day on Sunday and had an hours drive each way to get there! just did not want to sleep, and then when I finally went to bed, I had the worst time getting to sleep because I was over tired.

This of course led to snacking yesterday, although I wasn't as bad as usual. I can honestly say that when I ate yesterday, I was not "hungry"! Hence why I went checking for inspiration last night!

Which also reminds me that I need to do my Monday Morning weigh in:

Week 138 post-op weigh in,
Starting weight: 151.9kg / 334.9lb
Last week: 111.7 kg / 246.2 lb
Current weight: 111.5kg / 245.8 lb
Change: loss of 0.2 kg / 0.4 lb
Total Weight Lost to Date: 40.2 kg / 88.6 lb

Small loss this week, but then I didn't log and check the weigh in daily. But I will be on to that as of today as I need to keep track on how I am going with the hunger signals.

alright, I have rambled on enough for today :o) Have a great Monday everyone!

7 comments:

  1. My LP doc told me last week just because your stomach growls does not mean your hungry. I'm like what? I'm still not sure I know what exactly he was saying but your questions maybe I'll use that method

    ReplyDelete
  2. Banded Wendy is a great resource! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! Bandedwendy is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to start asking myself these same questions when I'm hungry. I also know I need another fill but that's $150 I don't have right now so I'll try this instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Banded wendy is definitely a band rock star, hard core. Those pieces of advice are excellent-- and I think it is an excellent start to begin by asking if you're thirsty. Just stops you in your tracks and guarrantees you'll drink a glass of water before taking anything else in.
    It's never a simple process, but the key is to keep on working it!!
    It is good to see you keeping on keeping on just like me! We're in it.
    Keep on working it out.

    ReplyDelete