Places to go; Things to see

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Frustration

So I have had this niggling pain in my right hip for a while now. It only hurts when I have been sitting down for long periods of time, on when I try to sleep on my left side (my favourite sleeping position) more uncomfortable than anything else, but it has been getting worse.

I didn't think my treadmill sessions were doing any harm as it doesn't hurt while I jog or walk, but as I have been on holidays the last week, I have then come home and have been relaxing on the couch a lot more than normal, so in the last week I have noticed that it has been getting worse.

As much as I hate it, I finally decided to see someone about it today and so off to a physiotherapist I went.

Seems that some time ago, I have damaged a ligament in my hip, between the hip bone and my back.

I think it must have been when I was doing the yoga a few months ago, as that is when I first felt the pain, but I had put it down to being too new to yoga and so stopped, thinking I would let my leg rest before going back and seeing the instructor about making sure I was doing it properly so that I didn't injure myself further, of course I never did!

So the physiotherapist checks me out and after some movements, prodding and lots of questions he came to the conclusn that it was just a ligament that was hurt and not something else. While this is a good thing, it also has it's own set of problems!

Firstly, I have been told that I have to lay off the jogging for at least the next few weeks!!!

I was not impressed! In fact it really does suck! When I mentioned that as it hadn't hurt when I was on the treadmill, I hadn't realised that would have been an issue, he told me, that when I am exercising, blood it being pumped to the area, and while that is a good thing, the strain of the jogging that is being put on the area, can also cause more ligaments being damaged and if that happens it can them be a long and painful recovery. My treadmill sessions have to remain at a brisk walking pace, no faster!

Secondly, I have to do lots of stretches!

While I have been doing some stretches after my treadmill sessions, I have not been doing enough and I also need to do them before I start as well, and he also advised to do in the mornings and evenings as well.

He also mentioned that i should also be stretching out my quad muscles as well as they are quite tight as well and that will help my knees. Apparently I have knock knees and that could cause issues later on, we will address those after my hip is better!

All this means that I am frustrated!
~ that I didn't do something sooner
~ that it is now affecting my running efforts
~ that it always seems to be something!

The therapist did do a treatment of electric therapy of some sort, I really should pay more attention to what doctors are doing to me :p it tingled and felt great and I could tell it was getting to the source of the area of pain. He then went throught the stretches I need to do and asked to see me again in ten days time.

Now I just need to regularly do the stretches and stop myself from jogging. That will be the hardest, but I know it is for my own good!

There always seems to be something standing in the way......

5 comments:

  1. I hear you. I have a bulging disc and it has led to all sorts of issues in that area - tight quads and all. I love the stim machine though, it feels so tingly and nice. Good luck, and do the stretches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the electo stim. That feels so awesome. I like it to be right on the verge of discomfort at the high points. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allowing it to heal will most likely be frustrating - but worth it. Physio's are amazing...definitely listen to him. You don't want it to turn into a permanent problem. The walking can be just as beneficial...keep slogging on, lady - you'll get there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your frustration. It does seem to always be one thing after another- but we build our character by getting through the tough times....At least that is what I have been told.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, hon. I hope you get to be pain free really soon! How frustrating that something that's GOOD for you hurt you. :(

    ReplyDelete